Sunday, November 6, 2011

Peace OR Conflict ?

I am sitting here, crafting a short story, listening to the various birds' song, watching rays of sunlight filter through the swaying leaves, feeling at peace.
But then a switch flips in my head and I shiver. How can I be at such peace when so many bad things are happening in the world? 34 vehicle pile-up on the M5, 500 dead in the Bangkok flood, more dead in the Cambodia deluge, another suicide in Bedok Reservoir, a missing child, a lost pet, the disappearing ice cap.... on it goes. My daughter is convinced that the world is ending next year. Should we hunker down and get ready, or go wild and live our last moments in pure joy?
As these issues are too varied and complex for my simple mind to get a grip on, my POP is this : live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself.
I'm going out for lunch and some retail therapy now :)

2 comments:

  1. Very wise! I was telling my kids about the last day of 1999 recently. My husband and some of the other guys were on call all night, JUST in case the world ended and they had to rush to work, so they couldn't drink. We wives got totalled and enjoyed un-hungover husbands doing all the parenting the next morning. I say we should have an 'end of the world' crisis every December 31st!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly makes for an interesting countdown :) Thanks, Nan.

    ReplyDelete