Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"You see, I've learned that just because you become a mom, it doesn't mean you're ever grown up enough to stop needing a mother of your own." Mother Nurture. From Chicken Soup for the Soul: New Moms By Katrina Rehme Hatch.

As my daughter would say - "now you are being emo."
But I feel I have to put down my Point of Prue on the closing line of a story I read - quoted above.
Have I really become so insensitive to myself that, as I read that, I refuted it immediately?

I don't feel grown up enough,ever, but I don't need a mother of my own and I haven't for the last 35 years.
I have survived many daunting tasks without feeling the need for one:
my father's death, separation, marriage into an alien culture and religion in a country far from home, the birth of two gorgeous people, my son and daughter, a women's cancer scare, a long career, job losses, searches and new starts, guiding two people through childhood into their teenage years to keep them happy, balanced and able  (my daughter would say I did this badly, of course, if anyone were to ask her), marriage issues, daily tasks of running a household, pet births, lives and deaths  .... the list goes on.

But then I wonder, if I had needed (or been able to have) a mother's love and guidance through my life this far, how different would it have been? Would I have made different choices, taken different paths, lead and guided some other way? Would I have done it better or worse? 

In the end, I am happy knowing I have done my best alone. Happy that I didn't feel that I needed a mother. Happy with my choices and actions.

Now ... if only I could feel grown up enough too.

No comments:

Post a Comment