Friday, August 12, 2011

Mesmerised by the Moon

Last night I was driving home. A route I take almost every night. I drive, drop, drive, almost on auto pilot. Slowing for the cameras. Speeding up in between.
Last night something made me want to stop.
I drew over to a side lane where there was no traffic.
I parked and climbed out of my car and stood still in the cocooning silence.
The moon was almost full. My son and I had been gazing on it moments earlier, tracing the rabbit and the man resting thereon. It was a bright orb in an otherwise dark sky.
I listened. I heard a noise. I twitched. The noise came again. I shivered.
The night was humid and still. I could hear my heart beating.
I tasted the damp soil and sleeping leaves on the air.
I felt sad and yet happy. Restless and yet calm.
The bats were rustling and clicking in the foliage above me. It was time to head home.
My moment of reflection had brought me peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment