Monday, April 11, 2011

Harvey

Don’t we all have, want or need a Harvey at some point in our lives? 
That imaginary friend, who never talks back, never tells us what to do, never scolds, contradicts, cajoles or belittles us, never laughs at us or tells us we are stupid. An invisible friend who is always by our side, ever ready for a hug, a giggle, a smile, an in-depth discussion. Who will listen to our rants for hours on end and never be bored. Who will tell us we are the greatest and never laugh after saying so. Yes, we do!

I had Rory. He was always “with” me when I went to hide in my den, way out over the fields, under the low-slung branches of a great old tree. He was by my side all the way there. Sometimes we walked, sometimes we crawled, sometimes we ran full pelt. He stayed with me under that peaceful tree, no matter how short or long a time I stayed there.
And then, he would walk back home with me, holding my hand or hugging me tight,
giving me courage to face whatever was waiting.
Without Rory, I dare say I would have gone nuts! I would certainly have harmed someone, not least myself.

Let me tell you, if you ever want someone to shout at, really shout at, about someone who has done you wrong, in your opinion, then shout at your Harvey.
He will be calm. He will let you get it off your chest without incident. There will be no repercussions. You can scream and shout and yell and punch and spit and pull Harvey’s hair, and he will STILL love you after that. He will still be unharmed. He will be neither offended nor angered.
But best of all, you will have de-activated the time bomb inside you.
And trust me, if it is left inside, ticking slowly but steadily, when it does blow, it will be BAD!

Invite a Harvey into your life now, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment